Internship and Volunteer Program
The Florida Department of Health in Seminole County will provide you with knowledge and a rewarding experience in a state government organization addressing public health needs in coordination with Federal, State and County programs. Florida Department of Health in Seminole County is committed to assisting in the instruction of effective professionals, developing and promulgating public health knowledge, and providing leadership to students and volunteers as a means of achieving its mission in the community.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the requirements for participating?
- When should I apply for an academic internship?
- Do I get paid for an internship?
- What hours will I be required to work?
- I’m not in school, but can I participate in the internship program?
- Clinical Internship Information
- Non-Clinical Internship Information
- Volunteer Opportunities Information
1. What are the requirements for participating?
- You must be 18 years of age to volunteer or intern at DOH-Seminole.
- Complete and submit the on-line application, following the instructions on the first page for intern or volunteer.
- Be available for a telephone and/or face-to-face interview.
- The Florida Department of Health requires all interns and volunteers receive a satisfactory result from a Level 2 background screening before the first day of their volunteering or internship. DOH-Seminole has Live Scan equipment onsite and will schedule an appointment with you to complete the fingerprinting once your application has been accepted. For Interns, there is a $60 fee for this process.
- You must complete an agency orientation and training classes in the Florida Code of Ethics, Information Security and Confidentiality, and HIPAA (privacy) at a minimum. The classes are part of our online learning management system and can be completed in just a few hours. Depending on the internship position held, additional training may be required. Orientation and initial training only occurs every other week and will be scheduled after your application has been accepted and a supervisor assigned.
2. When should I apply for an academic internship?
The sooner, the better. Health Clinic internships, especially, reach capacity months before the desired intern start date.Top of Section
3. Do I get paid for an internship?
No. All internships are unpaid positions. Course credit for hours worked will be received according to your internship program. Additionally, each intern receives valuable work experience with our organization that will contribute experience to a resume when seeking a paid position in the future.Top of Section
4. What hours will I be required to work?
Hours are scheduled based on the academic requirements, the department's needs and the intern's availability. Workdays are typically Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The department does sponsor and attend some communitybased activities on weekends and occasionally after business hours.Top of Section
5. I’m not in school, but can I participate in the internship program?
No, you would then be classified as a volunteer. Individuals applying for a non-credit position are required to complete the Application, following the instructions for Volunteers, which includes submitting two personal references for acceptance into the Volunteer Program.Top of Section
6. Clinical Internship Information
Graduate level: Clinical internships are offered in the following areas:
- Nurse Practitioner (ARNP, FNP) – Practicums are offered in Women’s Health only. We do not see clients for adult, pediatric or prenatal services.
- Dietary Nutritionist (WIC) (get accurate description from Susan Mulligan)
- Dental Services – for Dental Assistants (get accurate description from Dhanu Mistry)
Hours of clinical operation are Monday thru Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Weekend hours are not available.
Note: Graduate level nursing internships for MSN degrees are currently not available.
Undergraduate level Practicums for baccalaureate level nursing are available on a limited basis.
Vocational Clinical Internships are available for Dental Assistants. Services provided in this area are: Exams, X-Rays, Cleanings, Fluoride Treatment, Sealants, fillings, and extractions.Top of Section
7. Non-Clinical Internship Information
Limited Availability, multiple applicants may compete for the same position.
Undergraduate and graduate levels internship are currently available in the areas of Business/Public Administration, Epidemiology, Information Technology, Environmental Health, Office of Health Promotion and Education, Tobacco Prevention, Men’s Health, Marketing/ Branding, HIV/ AIDS Program, Tuberculosis/Refugee Health, and Quality and Performance Improvement.Top of Section
8. Volunteer Opportunities Information
Please indicate the area(s) of interest and the skills you have that will help the area you are interested in volunteering.
Acceptance on an as needed basis and cannot be guaranteed.
Upon acceptance volunteer applicant is subject to a level 2 background screening.Top of Section
The Application Process
You must be 18 years prior to the start of volunteer duties or internship. Because of the volume of applications and limited work resources and availability, not all applications may be accepted.
- Complete the electronic application, providing all requested information for intern or volunteer, as instructed on the application. If printed and manually completed, it must be neatly printed.
- Submit the completed three-page application by clicking on the EMAIL icon on the application. It may also be mailed or scanned and emailed to the address below.
The Florida Department of Health in Seminole County
400 W. Airport Boulevard
Sanford, FL 32773
Email: Seminoleinternprogram@flhealth.gov Attention: Lyn Fuentes
Once all materials have been submitted, you will be notified by the clinical coordinator or a program manager if your application has been accepted and arrangements made for interview, fingerprinting, orientation, start date/schedule or other needs.
As a steward of the community and State of Florida, our goal is to provide a rewarding experience for all volunteers and interns.