skip to content

It's a New Day in Public Health.

The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts.

skip to content

Immunize Children now for the New School Year

By Mirna Chamorro

August 13, 2015

Immunize Children now for the New School Year

SANFORD - August is recognized as National Immunization Awareness Month (NIAM), and the Florida Department of Health in Seminole County is urging parents to prepare their children now for this upcoming school year. The goal of NIAM is to stress the importance of receiving routine, up-to-date immunizations. In August, and throughout the year, Department of Health encourages all persons to be sure immunization records are up-to-date.

To prepare for the start of school, immunizations are available at the following events and locations:

Seminole County Community Services Division
2nd Annual Seminole County Back-to-School Bash
400 W. Airport Boulevard, Sanford, FL (407) 665-2397
Saturday, August 15, 2014 from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.

Department of Health in Seminole County
400 W. Airport Boulevard, Sanford, FL (407) 665-3281
Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.

“Immunizations are vital in preventing diseases that were once common in this country. We can all work to keep our community healthy and free of vaccine preventable diseases,” said Dr. Swannie Jett, health officer for the Department of Health in Seminole County.

Due to the high demand for immunizations, from August 10th through September 4th, services are provided on a first come, first served, walk-in basis. Children must be accompanied by an adult family member or legal guardian to receive immunizations. If not, a notarized permission form, signed by the parent or legal guardian, must be presented before services are rendered. A copy of each child’s immunization record and government-issued, valid photo identification of the adult relative or legal guardian are required. Parents can avoid the lines and go directly to their primary care provider.

A certified DH 680 immunization form is required for school entry and is provided with immunizations. You can obtain this form at your child’s doctor’s office or the health departments’ immunization clinic. Immunization services are available for low-cost administrative fees at the health department.

Families with private insurance, assigned to a medical home or HMO provider should go to their doctor for immunizations as the health department is a safety net for those without health care coverage.

For more information on childhood immunizations, visit our website.

For Media Inquiries